Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Perfectionist

If you know me from my miniatures work, the fact that I state that I'm a perfectionist isn't new or a surprise. The hard part about this is that I mercilessly beat myself up over not having watched my background or if I miss a shot or if a shot is out of focus etc. I do have photoshop elements 5 but I don't know how to swap out backgrounds.

I finally got over myself enough to go back through some of my photos from Breyerfest that were taken in the indoor arena. Although I rented the Canon f2.8 70-200mm (non IS) lens, I didn't get the shots I was hoping for or expected. There just is not a way to get a good shot in the Kentucky Horse Park arena (that I know of, but I'm still a newbie with digital SLR photography) without extra lighting. A flash is wasted in the stands though because it doesn't go far enough, and there is an unwritten (or in some cases written) rule about no flash photography in the first six rows of the stands of a horse show.

I expect entirely too much of myself, ALL of the time. In some ways this helps me tremendously and in some ways it hinders me. I am always searching for a balance.

Anyway, I reconsidered some of the breyerfest photos that were taken in the ring, especially of the Icelandic horses. Those suckers can "tolt" like nobody's business and the pretty girls on them made for nice pictures.

After renting the lens above, I bought one. WITH the IS and USM though because that danged lens is VERY heavy. I've had it a day and I am already eager to go try it out wherever I can! I don't know anyone with horses here in Louisville though so I'm taking a lot of pictures of my son and my cats! ha!

No comments: