Saturday, July 5, 2008

"even the best laid plans......"






Last night, the clubhouse in our neighborhood did not shoot off fireworks. Everyone else did but it was pouring. My camera isn't waterproof so I just played around with the settings, shooting images of the houses in the streetlights. I wasn't using my tripod so everything turned out blurry but I did get some interesting photos - if they were in focus. I'll have to give that another shot in the snow or at some other time.



On his way to the store, my husband stopped by the clubhouse and found out that they will be shooting off fireworks tonight, (well hopefully) so I have another shot. Our back yard has some "rough" inbetween us, the creek and the golf course and the clubhouse. I hope that the trees aren't too overgrown for some good shots of fireworks.



I was complaining to a couple of people about my lack of focus once I get around horses. I guess that everyone has their "inner child" and mine tends to take over. I didn't have any horses growing up (I'm a SOLID suburban kid) so I am still in awe when I see one.



I'm actually not one known for "being in the moment". I tend to plan things out most of the time. (For instance, I plan my birthday almost hour by hour so that I can get the most out of it.) At my last shoot, I at least kept my class objectives in mind(too literally) but I forgot a couple of settings on my camera. I Forgot to change my ISO and I really should've shot in AV mode instead of Manual. I just don't trust that my shutter speed will be high enough when a horse unexpectedly takes off and does something fun. I also have to remember to keep looking at the scene from a perspective of "is this a good photograph" instead of just enjoying being around horses. I got two pictures in some really great light and if I had been alert enough, there would have been a lot more.



I am going to start keeping a list of things to check on my camera before I shoot in my bag.



I also have to remind myself that I haven't been seriously shooting for very long and try not to overwhelm myself with all of the things there are to learn.



The next time you see a horse show photographer and you like their work, tell them so. They make it look a whole lot easier than it really is.

1 comment:

Delson Roche said...

Hi,
Thanks for your comments on my blog. Looks like clicking horses is your forte. Enjoyed every pic .
Keep posting

Rgds
Delson