Thursday, November 6, 2008

Intercoms and Squirrels
















Every morning since the time change, munchkin has been waking up at 5am. I hear every little peep that he makes through our excellent baby monitor. So I wake up at 5am, and tell myself that he's ok and safe and then go back to sleep (Or at least try to) until 6am.
We wait until 6am to get him because that is "THE SCHEDULE" and I keep reading how every baby should be on a schedule. Besides, we can barely get him to stay awake past 7pm and if we wake him earlier and put him to bed earlier, I'll end up waking every day at 4am instead.

Our house has a built in intercom system, but every time there is rain with lightning it gets frazzled and only half of it works. The half that isn't working right now, is the speaker in our master bedroom. For some reason, my husband refuses to call the company that installed it and bought a baby monitor so that we could sleep in the master bedroom and still hear the baby.
Ok, he bought the baby monitor for my parents to use when they're watching munchkin but we've commandeered it for our bedroom.

The REALLY Funny part about the baby monitor (the store bought one) is that it picks up a local radio station. And I don't mean, a little bit of noise faintly in the background. I mean you can hear it all plainly. The later in the night it is, the more clearly you can hear the radio station. The reason for this is because our "high end" neighborhood is built about 5 blocks (as the crow flies) from the stations Gigantic radio tower. The Tower has been there since the 70's (maybe longer) and our Neighborhood has been here since the early 2004's. So it's really not the radio stations fault.





To remedy this, my husband, who is really an exceptionally smart dude, has put aluminum foil around the upstairs portion of the baby monitor (the transmittor) and the Reciever in our bedroom. And you know what? It's worked. The static and the radio station isn't as loud as it used to be.


I'd take a picture of it but the baby is sleeping right now and if I wake him, I don't get to pollute the internet with my witty drivel. :-)
The First three photos above are obviously taken at the 2008 Worlds Championshp Horse show in Louisville, KY during the $100,000 Five Gaited Stake. During the class, they strip the horses to take a look at their conformation. Now the points given during this portion of the class don't factor in a LOT, but it drags the class out so that everyone gets their money's worth. I definitely did.
The Last horse photo is of the winner "Breaking News" performing the gait, the "rack" which is an "artificial" gate taught to him by his trainer and he's really good at it. (obviously)
The Fourth picture is of a squirrel, doing squirrel things in one of the trees out back. Although the lens I used doesn't have the "foo" to get one of those great, close up, pictures showing every hair in his fuzzy hide, I think that the overall feeling is pretty nice.
The fifth picture is a reflection of the trees on the water in the creek in my back yard. Some day I'll have to blather on about why we're in the house and how much I love my back yard, but I'll spare you today.






3 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Lovely pictures, as usual! Those horses just seem to KNOW they're something special, huh??

.....now, go take a shower woman!! =)

Unknown said...

LOve the saddlebred pics! but I usually love all your photos! you need to teach me how to use my camera! lol
hey I have a question for your husband.. I live in an apartment/ art studio.. its really both.. built onto the back of my aunts horse barn..my bedroom is actually the old foaling stall! lol anyways.. at the other end of the barn are the electric fence boxes.. which we plug in one at night.. and the problem is..I can hear it on the radio! drives me nuts.. click click click.. ( actually the fence box clicks I hear zztt zzttt zztt..) I also get night fading of the channel also..so I dont listen anymore! its been a year since I was able to listen to george Norry.. and I have been listening for years! so can you ask him if theres a way for my radio to not pick up the stupid fence charger? dont know what to do about the night fade..I hate that! .. I have tried 3 different radios.. all the same problem no matter how much it costs! anyways.. let me know if he knows of a way to fix that!
keep up the good work! Love your tack! the braided headsets are my favorite.. I use to have a really nice pair of real horse sized romel reins.. Id love a trad set someday... with a nice braided head set to match.. sigh..
Rebecca Turner
www.solticeartstudio.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Okay...today I was struck not by the beauty of the horse so much as that rider! Talk about a sharp dressed man.

Maybe it's politically incorrect to call him a "rider"? I'll change that to "jockey" just instead. If THAT'S incorrect, just insert correct terminology!