Saturday, November 8, 2008

Alysheba













On Thursday, I took a 60 minute "road trip" east to the Kentucky Horse Park. The Trip from Louisville to Lexington is a scenic rolling one and it always seems short to me. I know each exit, and the landscape as if it were my own neighborhood. I am always in a good mood when I go to Lexington because most of the time, it means I am on my way to the "Kentucky Horse Park".






This time was special to me for two reasons. First It marked the first time that I took my son with me. On Thursday of this past week I was feeling very stir crazy and I really needed to get out of the house. It was a rare day 74 degree day in November. I can't remember the last time we had those kinds of temperatures when it was supposed to be winter. I really wanted to take advantage of what would possibly be the last nice day of the year. My son is at an age now where everything is fascinating to him and I don't know how many more days I'll be able to get him outside until spring.




Secondly, I wanted to visit and photograph Alysheba. Alysheba was the 1988 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner. His race record is 21 times placed out of 26 starts and he was the 1988 Horse of the Year. Over his career he won $6 million US. In 2000 he was exported to Saudi Arabia to stand at stud. This year, I assume that he was no longer getting mares in foal so the King of Saudi Arabia was kind enough to donate him back to the United States where he would live out his days at the Kentucky Horse Park. I emphasize kind enough to donate him back because many great racehorses that are exported to other countries come to not so glamourous ends. Not everyone reveres race horses the way we do in the US.





All that said, Alysheba looks fantastic for his age. A lot of stallions are allowed to get fat or unfit and the trip from half of the way around the world to Kentucky can take a lot out of a horse.






Alysheba was very bright eyed and curious the day I was there and he looks exceptionally fit considering his age. He also appeared to be very sweet. A lot of stallions throw their weight around or are ill behaved because there is a misconception that if you "train" a racehorse too much it takes the fire out of them. This guy was wonderful. Definitely gave his handler space and didn't get nippy at all.





I was very lucky in that there was another photographer there (who's assistant wouldn't give me his name for some reason) and they were posing Alysheba for him. Normally when you visit the Hall of Champion HOrses you can only get pictures of them with their noses in the ground. I got quite a few decent shots but as always, there is something that I feel I can improve on.






Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures of this Kingly, stately stallion in his new home where he will be loved and well taken care of for the rest of his days.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful trip! I hope your son enjoyed it as well.
I had no idea that horses were usually exported after their prime.
So fortunate for this one. He DOES look very regal and well defined. He also looks like a sweetheart and I think you captured that well!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

my #2 is ecstatic about horses...she says she even talks to them. anyway, these pics are making her smile! she loves the tongue pic! smiles...

Nicole said...

What a wonderful trip and photographs. Isn't it special when you can share your passions with your child no matter what age.

Meaghan said...

Stopping by to invite you to our giveaway: www.getthebean.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Mornin Heather. You were in front of me in the SITS line this morning. That's cool; we had a chance to mingle!

I had missed the squirrel post; glad I'm here to see those~

Queenie Jeannie said...

I wish I could have come too!! Sounds lovely!!

As always, totally gorgeous photos!!

jewelstreet said...

That sounds like a fantastic trip! I love the second photo and the one with the tongue sticking out! You made Alysheba regal beyond words!

~Jenn ODonnell Danza~ said...

Gorgeous photos Ms. Heather!